Archived information is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Year: 1998 – Province: Quebec
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Pontiac Protestant High School
Principal: Margaret Dupuis
Grades/Subjects Taught: Secondary English and drama
- Use a variety of strategies and clear expectations to develop correct spoken and written communication.
- Inspire students to cultivate clear understanding and love of English, as well as knowledge and proficiency, which are important to personal development.
- Share expertise, assist fellow educators and guide betterment of school services to benefit students.
Developed and delivers innovative language arts programs focussing on communications skills:
- promotes public speaking, student-taught lessons on vocabulary, story-telling, debating, dramatizing novel sections to develop and improve students' listening and speaking skills
- uses effective questioning techniques and a knowledge of students' strengths, weaknesses and personal challenges to draw every member of the class into discussions
- students regularly participate and excel in public-speaking and essay-writing contests. In 1997, one student was the first from Québec in 77 years to win prestigious essay contest.
Extracurricular drama program:
- produces and directs drama festival or school musical every year. Events involve contribution of entire school, elementary school students and members of community.
- builds community spirit, motivation and confidence of all
- offers members of small community rare opportunity to experience arts and theatre
- events raise funds for school improvement and student trips to Europe, Stratford, and the United States, which are usually impossible for disadvantaged rural students.
- Date modified: