Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.
Year: 1998 – Province: Newfoundland and Labrador
Certificate of Excellence Recipients
School: Bishops College
Principal: David Dibbon
School Website: www.bishops.ntc.nf.ca
Grades/Subjects Taught: Secondary biology, Advanced Placement biology
- Lead students and fellow teachers to integrate technology into school curriculum.
- Create and use interesting, relevant lab activities and visual learning to encourage excitement and comprehension.
- Encourage collaborative, cooperative learning.
Integrates technology in creative ways:
- Virtual field trips guide students through material in a logical manner, introduce topics in appropriate locations, and prepare students for a real field trip.
- Schools around the world use a large collection of subject-based websites created by Wells and his students (listed at www.bishops.ntc.nf.ca/science/).
Organizes weekly cooperative learning sessions:
- Students work independently on projects, develop extensive research skills and use technology frequently. They then contribute knowledge to a collaborative team project; the team in turn creates a presentation for the class.
Developed unique marking method to motivate and reward students:
- Students earn Magic Stamps with classroom activity or homework that entitle them to bonus points on next test.
- Since the program was launched, the number of students completing assignments has jumped, as has participation in group projects and the quality of student work.
Renewed school and student interest in science fairs:
- Enrolment has increased tenfold in four years.
- Students consistently win regional, provincial and national awards.
"I actually looked forward to biology each day! His enthusiasm and excitement is contagious." Former student
"Mr. Wells' use of the Internet was exceptional. His biology page was, and still is, a great source of information and entertainment." Former student
- Date modified: