Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.
Year: 1999 – Province: Ontario
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Nancy Campbell Collegiate Institute
Principal: Cora McNamara
Grades/Subjects Taught: English, drama, art
- Present learning as a step towards an exciting common goal.
- Favour a project-oriented approach to learning that accommodates various learning styles, makes expectations clear and well defined.
- Stress oral, visual and written presentation skills as well as the ability to consult in a group.
Integration of English, drama and art sparks students' interest, enhances comprehension and increases opportunities for students to express themselves.
Promotes students' writing skills through English program:
- two students wrote an article published in the Toronto Star
- another student wrote a play performed at the Sears Drama Festival
- a student's poem was chosen for City Hall time capsule
- students work with local elementary schools, writing and performing plays with students
- accomplished students encouraged to tutor peers and younger students.
Brings latent talent to the fore through drama:
- students adapt plays, then produce them for performance in school and community
- teams compose and record music and sound effects on CD
- youth learn oral and presentation skills, become polished, capable communicators
- classes learn sound recording, stage lighting, advertising and other aspects of large project
- student participation usually 60 to 70 percent.
- Date modified: