Archived information is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Year: 1999 – Province: Ontario
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Nancy Campbell Collegiate Institute
Principal: Cora McNamara
Grades/Subjects Taught: English, drama, art
- Present learning as a step towards an exciting common goal.
- Favour a project-oriented approach to learning that accommodates various learning styles, makes expectations clear and well defined.
- Stress oral, visual and written presentation skills as well as the ability to consult in a group.
Integration of English, drama and art sparks students' interest, enhances comprehension and increases opportunities for students to express themselves.
Promotes students' writing skills through English program:
- two students wrote an article published in the Toronto Star
- another student wrote a play performed at the Sears Drama Festival
- a student's poem was chosen for City Hall time capsule
- students work with local elementary schools, writing and performing plays with students
- accomplished students encouraged to tutor peers and younger students.
Brings latent talent to the fore through drama:
- students adapt plays, then produce them for performance in school and community
- teams compose and record music and sound effects on CD
- youth learn oral and presentation skills, become polished, capable communicators
- classes learn sound recording, stage lighting, advertising and other aspects of large project
- student participation usually 60 to 70 percent.
- Date modified: