Archived information is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Year: 1999 – Province: British Columbia
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Lansdowne Junior Secondary School
Principal: Barry Turner
Grades/Subjects Taught: Elementary, junior and senior concert and jazz bands, computer-generated music composition
- Equip students with knowledge, attitude and abilities they need to succeed in tomorrow's world.
- Promote student-centred learning, engage students in collaborative problem solving, work with them to find their own resolution.
- Recognize and respect different learning styles, employ all strategies to find one most helpful to specific student's learning.
Introduced music composition class, one of two in school district:
- provides computers, synthesizers and Internet for students to create and present music
- draws on other subjects to enhance music learning process – African music enriched with maps, cultural information, pictures
- encourages access of various learning resources when studying music and its history
- resulted in students writing original music compositions to portray evolution and development of music from medieval period to 20th century.
Conducts extensive music and band program in school:
- combines other disciplines into band assignments; each semester students complete a self-directed project on any subject of choice, relating it to their musical interests
- requires students in jazz band to meet outside school hours as part of regular credit course – jazz players meet early morning twice a week
- enrolled 38 percent of student body in band and composition courses, another 10 percent enrolled in newly formed choir and jazz dance classes
- students play in Greater Victoria Youth Orchestra, two students are members of provincial honours band, former students became professional musicians.
- Date modified: