Archived information is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Year: 2000 – Province: British Columbia
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
Barbara Cooper , Carolynn Elliot
School: Fleetwood Park Secondary
7940 - 156 Street
Surrey, British Columbia V3S 3R3
Principal: Dave Paul
School Telephone: 604-597-2301
School Fax: 604-597-6481
School Website: www.sd36.bc.ca/fltsec
Grades/Subjects Taught: Ms. Cooper: teacher-librarian; Ms. Elliot: art
- Teaching art is teaching critical thinking. Emphasize process rather than product.
- Teaching is shaped by collaboration, creativity, inclusion and flexibility.
Initiated Imag1Nations, an interdisciplinary, school-wide First Nations focus week:
- objective was to develop awareness and appreciation of the various cultures, belief systems and lifestyles in the school community
- 50 presentations gave students of all grades from 80 classes direct interaction with aboriginal artists; students learned about First Nations peoples, living in Canada's multicultural society, the arts and questions of personal identity
- week closed with an evening showcase of student achievements
- Ms. Cooper and Ms. Elliot developed a resource package for teachers to prepare for this event, including interdisciplinary lesson plans and bibliographies of curriculum support material
- teachers are also sharing the experience through professional journals, workshops and presentations, and a publication to highlight students' Imag1Nations work is planned.
Ms. Cooper helps students become independent, responsible and critical users of information, and develops resource material for colleagues. Graduates of the career preparation program in library and media management enroll in library management at college.
Ms. Elliot's classes emphasize critical thinking and integrate art with other subjects. Students have illustrated books, pursued careers in the arts and won scholarships.
"Barbara embodies the qualities of an educator who aims high. At the same time, she knows the importance of gaining teachers' confidence to work collaboratively with them - and of course, in turn with their students." Fellow librarian
"Graduates frequently state that Ms. Elliot's art class was an excellent preparation for university, as it was a class where they were taught to think and find solutions." Former vice-principal
- Date modified: