Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.
Year: 2001 – Province: Ontario
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
Carl Des Granges
School: Bayside Public School
Belleville, Ontario K8N 4Z2
Principal: Lorna Hanrahan
School Telephone: 613-962-0694
School Fax: 613-962-0035
School Website: www.hpedsb.on.ca/bayps
Grades/Subjects Taught: Grade 6, French immersion
Together we can make a difference for the one who really counts.
Creates a learning environment that allows students to thrive:
- multicultural units expose students to food, culture, art and history of many regions; a Central America unit culminated in a Cajun/Mexican feast for families in the school gym; a study of the West included a Rodeo and Wild West competition
- art festival featured a gallery of student native art followed by a talent show
- micro-society project transformed classroom into a small town: elected officials managed the government, the class held job interviews for important business positions, and a mini-economy of micro-dollars funded rental of desks, levied taxes and charged fines for classroom infractions
- Création 29, a French- and English-language newsletter is written, formatted and assembled by students: the newsletter is sold to raise funds for a class trip, but also provides students with bilingual writing experience, helps them develop teamwork and project management skills, and is fun.
Sparks interest in physical activity with a broad range of sports activities:
- round robin baseball tournament with other Grade 6 classes ends with Thanksgiving meal
- football games lead students to re-enact the Superbowl, complete with a tailgate party and Texas chili
- letters written to professional sports teams resulted in an exciting variety of team gifts, including an autographed hockey stick.
Caps year with an overnight trip to Montréal as a final test of the students' bilingual skills. Students visit several museums, dine in a French restaurant, tour Old Montréal and sing the national anthem in Olympic Stadium.
Mr. Des Granges leads a classroom like no other, using his ingenious ability to enlighten the lives of so many children. His work is stimulating, exhilarating and contagious. Parent
His sweet craziness is like a vison of what learning in a school setting should be all about; he concocts activities that are challenging, engaging and authentic. Fellow teacher
- Date modified: