Archived information is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Year: 2001 – Province: Ontario
Certificate of Excellence Recipients
School: Ridgeway-Crystal Beach High School
576 Ridge Road, Box 310
Ridgeway, Ontario L0S 1N0
Principal: Helga Campbell
School Telephone: 905-894-3461
School Fax: 905-894-3390
School Website: www.dsbn.edu.on.ca/Genpages/rdgway_crstl.htm
Grades/Subjects Taught: Grades 9 to OAC - English, history.
- Teach the whole child – that is, teach skills in both the cognitive and affective domain. Integrate academic lessons with employability skills.
- Foster personal growth by having students accept responsibility for their actions.
- We live in a competitive world that places high demands on us; we can prepare students for this by setting high standards. Teachers who set high standards are rarely disappointed.
Mrs. Hockley's student-centred approach to learning, which is challenging and focussed on high standards, brings out the best in students.
- Her reviewing and guess the test strategies have allowed students to significantly improve their test results.
- Both her academic and vocational students have a high success rate; several vocational students have been inspired to transfer to the academic stream through Mrs. Hockley's peer tutoring initiative.
- Students placed second in a recent round of The Great Canadian History Challenge, a board-wide competition.
Mrs. Hockley is a leader within the school in the areas of assessment and literacy. In the latter area, she led a team that developed the school's cross-curricular literacy plan, involving considerable in-service training and work with elementary teachers to help them develop literacy skills in younger students.
This is the most amazing project you will ever get the chance to complete. You guys should really thank Mrs. Hockley for this opportunity. Former student speaking to current students about the OAC Independent Research Project
Since my son's enrolment in Mrs. Hockley's classes, there has been a very noticeable improvement in the quality of his work. His grades have improved, his homework requires fewer revisions and he completes his assignments with far fewer questions than in the past. Parent
- Date modified: