Archived information is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Year: 2002 – Province: Alberta
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: McNally High School
Edmonton, Alberta T6A 1B6
Principal: George Rice
School Telephone: 780-469-0442
School Fax: 780-465-5958
School Website: www.mcnallyhigh.com
Grades/Subjects Taught: Grades 10-12, mathematics
- Encourage students to be independent thinkers and to take responsibility for their education.
- Promote teamwork and collaboration to maximize the teaching strategies of other members of the department.
Continually searching for ways to improve student achievement:
- set up daily noon-hour tutorials for all students needing assistance
- instituted peer group tutoring, which has proved a beneficial option (to both tutor and tutored) for those needing individual help
- created a homework support line for mathematics students
- assisted a fellow teacher in creating an interactive website for students and parents, providing information about marks and assignments
- coaches dozens of students to prepare for mathematics competitions such as the Canadian Open math contest and the Canadian National Mathematics League.
In terms of student achievement, Myck has proven to be one of the most successful mathematics teachers in the province. His students' Grade 12 diploma results are consistently about the provincial average, and his school-awarded marks are the highest in the school and school board. Students are equally successful in the International Baccalaureate program: in 2001 when the world average was 4.84, McNally students achieved 6.21.
Actively involved in development and marking of provincial diploma exams, and has contributed to the provincial mathematics curriculum. Wyck was also instrumental in implementation of new math programs (Math Pure, Math Applied) into the school.
"Mr. Myck is a phenomenal educator, especially in the area of athematics. His mathematical wizardry amazes both students and staff." Fellow teacher
"Wes has become a real leader among his math-teaching peers. He has the courage to take on challenges and the other teachers trust that he will follow through on commitments." Colleague
- Date modified: