Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.
Year: 2006 – Province: British Columbia
Certificate of Excellence Recipient
School: North Delta Secondary School
Delta, British Columbia
Principal: Ted Johnson
School Telephone: 604-596-7471
School Fax: 604-596-6192
School Website: www.deltasd.bc.ca
Teacher Email: email@example.com
Grades/Subjects Taught: Grade 11 Library, Grades 10-12
- Engages students with enriching learning opportunities such as online resources, activities, WebQuests and video streaming that stimulate learning and motivation.
- Creates and leverages multimedia content, especially video, graphics and interactive technology activities, to bring online content to life.
- Regularly assesses and provides feedback on student progress to students and uses assessment information effectively in making instructional decisions.
- Students become proficient in the use of technology; they develop positive attitudes toward technology uses that support lifelong learning, collaboration, personal pursuits and productivity.
- Encourages students to take ownership of their learning, acting as explorers and producers; the teacher functions as facilitator and guide and, as a result students learn collaboratively to develop critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Mr. Lum is the webmaster of the school website, grad committee organizer, organizer of the DVD yearbook club, and co-coach of the rugby team.
- Mr. Lum has received two Delta School District School Education Initiative grants for technology integration and working collaboratively with colleagues. He also received a community-based grant for integrating technology in a special project to enhance students' social responsibility. He has also organized many district workshops on technological integration, development of online resources, and learning multimedia applications.
- Mr. Lum went back to university at an age when most teachers were thinking of winding down their careers. His motive was not only to adapt but make a real difference in student learning and to enhance his competency; he completed a UBC diploma in Computer Studies in 2004.
- Created a Forensics Science WebQuest Unit and an online simulated crime scenario entitled "Case of the Stolen Laptop" in partnership with the Delta Police Department.
"Andrew Lum is an educator who has developed the most innovative, outstanding, and technologically rich library program I've encountered. In addition, his commitment spills over into after school programs, school organizations, sports, and other extracurricular activities. His involvement in these volunteer facets of the school enhances the overall school experience for students. Mr. Lum is focused on providing positive and enriching experiences for students. His commitment to the staff is equally commendable." - Principal
"Andrew's leadership and commitment is not only in the integration of technology into the curriculum but also in training colleagues in the integration of technology with the curriculum. He has held numerous after school workshops for staff on technology integration, development of online resources, and learning of multimedia applications. Andrew has also assisted other schools in the district, as well as conducting district workshops on the development of digital resources. He has and is always eager to work with colleagues on a one-on-one basis." - Vice-Principal
"Andrew has leveraged technology as a motivating and empowerment tool for students to learn and explore. He has used this powerful motivator to move students to higher levels of learning. His resources were created to address the wide of abilities of diverse learners. The library program has been a catalyst for learning resulting in improved student achievement and participation." - Vice-Principal
- Date modified: