Archived information is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Year: 2006 – Province: Ontario
Certificate of Excellence Recipient
School: Anderson Collegiate and Vocational Institute
400 Anderson Street
Principal: John Morrison
School Telephone: 905-668-5809
School Fax: 905-668-1774
School Website: www.acvi.ca
Grades/Subjects Taught: Grades 10-12, Mathematics
- Realizes his students are part of Generation IPOD, so uses their skills with technology and its applications to incorporate it into daily teaching plans.
- Uses unconventional teaching techniques such as role play to capture the attention of his students and inspire them to think about mathematics in different ways.
- Sets goals and employs strict time management skills to maximize the students' time and develop the importance of meeting deadlines.
- Invites guest speakers into the classroom to speak about engineering at the post-secondary level to show students how the study of mathematics applies in the real world. Skilled trades representatives have also spoken to students about the advantages of mathematics in the workplace.
- Mr. McIntyre has actively promoted the University of Waterloo Mathematics contests. During his six year career at Anderson, nine students have won Mathematics awards.
- In 2004-05, Anderson ranked 4th out of 19 schools in Durham District School Board, and 98 per cent of Mr. McIntyre's Grade 9 class passed the Level 1 of the Grade 9 Education Quality and Accountability Office Test.
- Mr. McIntyre was responsible for producing school board sponsored electronic curriculum materials for the Grade 10 academic math course.
- As Student Council advisor, Mr. McIntyre helps organize a leadership and teamwork training weekend for the Student and Athletic Councils every year.
- Mr. McIntyre is the Chairperson of the Math Heads Subject Council and is involved with the Safe and Caring Learning Communities team.
"Duncan exudes positive energy! He is always upbeat and engaging and the students and staff at Anderson are often caught off guard by his creative tactics. His classroom activities spill out into the school and math is no longer viewed as routine and boring. Duncan successfully engages and challenges students at all grade and academic levels. His innovative and non traditional approaches have unlocked the mysteries of math and made it fun for students to learn." - Head of Student Services
"Mr. McIntyre is an exceptional individual who has a tremendous impact on everyone at Anderson C.V.I. He regularly accomplishes the goals in the school's mission statement and far exceeds the call of duty as a teacher. It would be better to meet this fine gentleman in person, words are never enough." - Student
"I have known Duncan as a colleague and witnessed the enthusiasm he brings to school every day, but more importantly, I have known him as a parent of a child in his class. In both capacities, Duncan is nothing less than extraordinary." - Parent and Former Colleague
- Date modified: