Archived information is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Year: 2006 – Province: Quebec
Certificate of Achievement Recipient
School: Cookshire Elementary School
Principal: Gail Kelso
School Telephone: 819-875-3785
School Fax: 819-875-3785
School Website: www.etsb.qc.ca/cookshire/home/default/shtm
Grades/Subjects Taught: Grade 5/6 (split), Language Arts, Math, Science, Moral Education
- Focuses on the use of problem-solving to integrate real-life experience into mathematical learning. Rather than simply giving students the answers, Mrs. Lawton provides students with the theories and outlined frameworks necessary to work through problems and equations themselves.
- Encourages group work, creating positive collaborative attitudes in students and the social skills necessary to succeed in life.
- Organizes and plans "job shadowing" field trips to introduce students to a variety of career choices and opportunities.
- For the past three years, Mrs. Lawton's class has served as a pilot class for the Enhanced Learning Strategy laptop program (providing students with laptops for use both in class and their homes). Mrs. Lawton serves as the lead teacher in this respect for Cookshire Elementary School, fulfilling the duties of advocate, curriculum planner, trainer, and trouble-shooter, providing assistance to not only her students but also to the entire student, parent, and teaching body.
- Mrs. Lawton leads initiatives to bring artists into the school, completing the required Cultural Grant application and acting as cultural liaison. She also takes an active role in other school projects such as carnival day, representation in the local newspaper, and various environmental projects.
"I have witnessed Anne's commitment in making each of her students her first priority. She sets goals with her students and assures them all the support and guidance they need to achieve each of their goals. She teaches with respect and integrity, making each student acquire self respect, confidence and pride in their work. Anne has missed her lunch hours for months, to help one of her grade 6 students learn to read. This child left Anne's class with dignity, confidence, and a desire to succeed. […] I am grateful to have Anne as a colleague but most importantly, I am grateful to have her as a friend." - Fellow Teacher
"Anne is an outgoing and extremely patient person who always seems to have time for everyone and everything. She brings a much appreciated calmness to the school while at the same time brings lots of ideas, energy, and enthusiasm. Much of what she does is behind the scenes and often not readily visible - she simply makes things run smoothly. Everything is well orchestrated and seems effortless!" - Principal, Cookshire Elementary School
- Date modified: