Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.
Year: 2006 – Province: Quebec
Certificate of Achievement Recipient
School: École du Tournesol
285 rue Houle
Thetford Mines, Quebec
Principal: Louis Pinette
School Telephone: 418-338-8422
School Fax: 418-338-0275
School Website: www.csappalaches.qc.ca
Grades/Subjects Taught: Grade 4-6, French, Mathematics, Social Studies, Science and Technology
- Is committed to finding new ways to present learning material in different ways in order to establish a solid knowledge basis for her students.
- Promotes both individual and group learning environments in order to facilitate the use of technology in the classroom.
- The creation of an online learning laboratory, electronic correspondence journals, and introduction to the internet are all ways in which students have been introduced to science and technology in a day-to-day environment.
- Creates a positive environment in her classroom by assigning group projects that encourage each student to contribute to an end result. Students work in cooperation and share their strengths with the class.
- Establishes a trust with her students that transcend all projects. Even if a student has trouble in a specific area or learning difficulties, she helps them discover their potential and develop a better self esteem.
- In 1996, Ms. Lessard's students received honours standing in mathematics. They were honoured at the National level for a contest organized by the Advanced Placement Association of School Mathematics.
- For many years, Ms. Lessard's students have participated in an information rally held by Parcours. Students are required to navigate through cyberspace and complete an online scavenger hunt. Many students have won awards and prizes as a result of their hard work.
- Ms. Lessard's class put on a play, titled "La brose a dents" and performed it for the entire school at an assembly.
- Ms. Lessard and her class put together a project titled "Info-ecol'eau," where the information students brought together involving different aspects of water were presented in a journal. This project received national attention and was selected by GRICS society.
- In 2004, Amnesty International recognized two of Ms. Lessard's Grade 5 students for a project they did on peace. The groups won the gold medal at the Peace Gala, presented at the CEGEP of Thetford Mines.
"The main reason that I give this recommendation is that Ms. Lessard is a 'whole' and 'progressive' teacher. Her constant motivation to research topics that will interest her students, present them in a modern way, and integrate the use of ICT into her classroom while still respecting the teaching methods of the school board is paramount to the performance of her students. The most important element that attracts my attention is her ability to marry ICT techniques and a multitude of significant lessons for the student. Her positive attitude leaves lasting effects with every person she touches in our school." - Counselor
"The force that Ms. Lessard is to generate active participation in her students, develop basic skills in them, and reveal their inner talent has such a positive effect on her students and her community." - Colleague
"Ms. Lessard's dynamism, her sense of innovation and sensibility allows her students to push themselves to the maximum in their achievement." - Mayor
- Date modified: