Archived information is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Year: 2006 – Province: Nova Scotia
Certificate of Achievement Recipient
School: Lockeport Regional High School
10 Locke Street
Lockeport, Nova Scotia
Principal: Andy Stuart
School Telephone: 902-656-7110
School Fax: 902-656-7120
School Website: http://lockeport.ednet.ns.ca
Grades/Subjects Taught: Grade 7-9, Math
- Promotes cross-curriculum learning.
- Encourages parents to attend classes with their children during Education Week.
- Uses student assessment portfolios so students take ownership of this assessments and evaluations, and parents are able to receive these folders at any time to monitor their child's progress.
- Develops appropriate grade level learning modules for students of any ability level.
- Supports hands-on learning and peer tutoring.
- Mr. Balish has improved student math scores in the daily fundamental math evaluations by 20 per cent on a yearly basis for all his classes.
- Mr. Balish has received both national and international awards for his facilitators work in the classroom, in schools and with school boards across Canada. He has developed a program in 'Education Climate Building Model,' with the goal to help children stay in school by making classrooms safe, caring, nurturing and inviting. His work with platforms as student learning centres and innovative cooperative education strategies has earned him the title of "one of the best classrooms in the school," as voted on by students.
- Mr. Balish has created a nationally acclaimed mathematics program, which is copyrighted and will be printed in the fall of 2006. His innovations continue to change the way math is being taught with his insight into the newly development "mental math." He is also one of the developers of Minds on Math, and grade 9 math book published by Addison-Wesley.
- Mr. Balish chairs the Curriculum Committee for the Nova Scotia Teacher's Union, has organized numerous Professional Development workshops and in-services, and it was under his direction that Lockeport Regional High School hosted the first ever Stay in School provincial conference.
- He has been the school activity/athletic director, staff supervisor for the school's chess club, acted as Student Parliament Advisor, Yearbook Advisory, school representative to the Town of Lockeport's Recreation Committee, coached extra curricular activities, and helped to facilitate a number of Peer programs.
"Kent's development of his 'Mental Math' program is definitely a program that works. The students go to his class, get their portfolio, and start straight to work. This dedication by the students in his classes has had a ripple effect in their other classes as well. Students leave his class motivated and with a sense of accomplishment." - Fellow Teacher
"His teaching and accomplishments in athletics have been recognized within Nova Scotia, Canada and abroad. His many championships raise public exposure of our small school, raises school spirit among students and give our school an overall sense of pride." - Vice Principal, Lockeport Regional High School
- Date modified: