Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.
Year: 2008 – Province: Newfoundland and Labrador
Certificate of Excellence Recipients
School: Long Range Academy
PO Box 10
Cow Head, Newfoundland and Labrador
Principal: David Penney
School Telephone: 704-243-2252
School Fax: 704-243-2169
School Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
School Website: www.cowhead.k12.nf.ca
Subjects and Grades Taught: Numeracy in Kindergarten to Grade 6, mathematics in Grades 7 to 9 and technology in Grade 7
- A mistake is not a mistake if you fix it. An incorrect answer is an opportunity to demonstrate problem-solving skills.
- Provide a flexible teaching and learning environment with lots of group work and critical discussion.
- Involve parents and provide support for both students and parents outside regular school hours.
- Introduced students to academic success in a community where academic achievement was not always a priority. She has overseen a significant rise in marks on standardized tests, which had historically been low. For example, her mathematics students perform above provincial levels in 14 out of 15 domains.
- Appointed Numeracy Support Specialist to provide professional development support to other staff.
- Brought information and communications technologies to the school, supported by a GrassRoots grant; has been expanding her efforts ever since. She has lobbied hard to make the new technology available to primary and elementary grades.
"Jean is not only student driven, but strives to make our physical building a welcoming and safe place. She is very involved in the spirit building of our school. Jean eagerly volunteers for many teams and does so with the same enthusiasm and dedication as her teaching." Colleague
"Ms. Murphy has made a significant contribution to education in this province, to the lives of the children she has taught and to the communities in which she has worked and volunteered… . In every conversation I have had with Ms. Murphy, she always seems to have a default position regarding education and teaching. She always goes back to same fundamental question, "How will this benefit students and how will it increase achievement?" Former principal
- Date modified: